EJSarge (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Debashish,
I frequently find I have processing I want to do both before and after something. Examples are locking accounts, beginning/committing transactions, acquiring/releasing resources.

It feels like something that might already have a name or a standard monadic way of doing it.

I thought I'd ask as I'm rather curious.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Edward
Debasish Ghosh (111) [Avatar] Offline
This is the classical monadic approach towards designing a sequence of actions. It's imperative in nature e.g. you want to do task1, followed by task2 and then task3 .. Typically in imperative logic you will invoke 3 functions 1 by one - in fact you can also use the template method design pattern if you want to bring some discipline in structuring the task executions.

A monadic effect is the functional way to do the same thing. That's why a monad is also often called the semicolon of functional programming. In Scala when you use the for comprehension as ..

for {
  a <- task1
  b <- task2
  c <- task3
} yield ..

you get the same effect. As an exercise de-sugar the above using map and flatMap and you will have a clear understanding of how the sequence works.

In the above case the sequence will break if one of the functions throws an exception. As an alternative effect have a look at applicatives where you execute all the functions irrespective of the output. The book discusses both the effects in detail.

Thanks.
EJSarge (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Debashish,
Thanks for the reply - I'm not sure I was clear enough about what I was asking.
for {
  a <- lockResource
  b <- doSomethingUsefulWithResource
  c <- unlockResource
} yield ..

lockResource/unlockResource should always surround doSomethingUsefulWithResource

I was wondering if there was a standard functional or monadic way to do this.

I did note that recently Mario Fusco posted about this with the Template section part of https://www.voxxed.com/blog/2016/05/gang-four-patterns-functional-light-part-2/.
That's a function wrapper - is that the best way?
Debasish Ghosh (111) [Avatar] Offline
You are correct. What u r talking about is the functional variant of the Template Method pattern in a monadic context.