jasonc (12) [Avatar] Offline
I am concerned that this book will be obsolete by the time of release.

A lot has changed on the hardware side of things. The Pi 3 now has WiFi and BlueTooth LE built in, negating the necessity (or reason) to use something like ZigBee.

Arduino has released the MKR1000 specifically for WoT. It has built-in low power WiFi.

Even if it delays publication, I would like to see the book updated for the Pi 3.
domguinard (69) [Avatar] Offline
jasonc wrote:I am concerned that this book will be obsolete by the time of release.

A lot has changed on the hardware side of things. The Pi 3 now has WiFi and BlueTooth LE built in, negating the necessity (or reason) to use something like ZigBee.

Arduino has released the MKR1000 specifically for WoT. It has built-in low power WiFi.

Even if it delays publication, I would like to see the book updated for the Pi 3.

Hi Jason,

Worry not we worked hard to update it, the book now covers the Pi Zero and Pi 3 as well WiFi setup included and a small section on working with Bluetooth on the Pi3. The code now also supports the Pi Zero and 3.

The Ardunio MKR1000 is also great indeed. However, we picked the Pi platform rather than the Ardunio, this was a choice mostly because the Node.js support on the Arduino platform was not that great (this is improving as well!). Having said that: added an Appendix where we describe our favorite HTTP and WS libraries for the Arduino and cover the Beaglebones and Intel Edison as well.

All of this will be available in the final version (as there are no more MEAP releases until then) which should be out real soon!

Last word on Zigbee vs Bluetooth. Indeed we see Bluetooth getting more and more important. Having said that Zigbee still has one advantage: the support for meshes, extending it's range to quite far. Bluetooth will also probably get a mesh standard sometimes this year but not early enough for the first release of the book.

Hope you'll like the update!