The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

376783 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I wish I had known this before ordering - one simply can not read a book on visualization without color.
Very unhappy about it.
elijah.meeks (127) [Avatar] Offline
376783 wrote:I wish I had known this before ordering - one simply can not read a book on visualization without color.
Very unhappy about it.

I totally understand your feelings on this, and I wanted full or at least limited color for the book but it simply wasn't possible. That said, data visualization is about much more than color. While the sections on d3.rgb and so on do suffer in black-and-white, the book itself is about learning how to use a library that does more than encode data using color. When you think about data visualization, there are multiple channels to encode data to, such as size, position, container relationship, connection (such as with network diagrams) and so on, and this book covers those in detail. It also deals with D3 as a coding library, which does not suffer in the black-and-white format. All the interactive examples are available in color, of course, as is the eBook version.

So while I'd prefer to have had color, I look at it like animation or interactivity, which are also covered in the book and also suffer in static printed form: It's just one of many aspects of data visualization afforded by the D3.js library and one which you're taught to utilize effectively and which you can explore in more meaningful detail using the supplemental material.

I want to emphasize the legitimacy of your complaint, though, and it's one that I've heard from other readers, but I think it's a minor and unfortunately necessary issue that came about with creating a book like this.