The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

309069 (11) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
First of all thank you for this MEAP, this is book I was waiting for ! keep the good work smilie

In addtion to Couchbase and Riak, are there other "reactive" NoSQL databases (Akka- or Erlang/OTP-based) ?
Jeff Smith (14) [Avatar] Offline
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

So, I think most distributed databases are attempting to achieve something like the reactive traits. I use Couchbase in this book, because I think that they do some very interesting things in their design that I wanted to share as part of a general discussion of distributed databases.

It's certainly not necessary for a database to be implemented using Erlang/OTP or Akka for it to be reactive. I would call out Cassandra as a good example of a reactive database, and it's implemented in Java.

And reactive is not something limited to NoSQL databases. CockroachDB is doing some awesome things that could be viewed as reactive, and it's a relational distributed database.

That said, I think that some databases try harder to achieve these desirable properties than others, so I think it's worthwhile to talk concretely about a given implementation and understand exactly what it does or doesn't give you. It was my hope that the section on databases was a useful example of how to think about the properties of distributed databases you want to have when implementing a reactive machine learning system.