The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

jjmargon (11) [Avatar] Offline
Hi.
Up to now, in this book, I've learned (among other things, of course) that when you break a business rule, from a functional perspective, is much better for function composition to wrap it in a "computation" object as Try.
Then, you can use Success or Failure to implement that Try.

In Listing 3.5, you break that way directly throwing a RuntimeException in the savingsAccount method when the rate of interest is <= 0

Why do you do it that way in that code?

Best regards.

P.S.: congrats for the book. For the time being, it's one of the best ones I've read for the last few years in its field.

Debasish Ghosh (116) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the question.

Note that I am using exceptions locally and it does not escape the function to the world. The function closeDateCheck returns a Try and the exceptions will be wrapped up within that Try. So the smart constructor never throws the exception - it always returns a computational structure Try.

In the later chapters I demonstrate other methods that uses other computational structures like Either or scalaz.\/ instead of exceptions.

Hope this helps.
jjmargon (11) [Avatar] Offline
OK. I am new also to Scala, so I misunderstood the code.

You're right. I didn't know that Scala internally, executes the apply method to the Try companion object in order wrap an exception and returns a Try anyway.

Thank you for your response.

Best regards.