The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

207106 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Will there be any updates either in the print or digital editions for the changes related to Docker version 1.10? That version has some very significant changes especially relating to security (with new abilities such as user namespace support ) and networking as well as others. If modifying the current book is out of the question, then a supplemental download would also be very much appreciated. While I realize that Docker is a moving target, these changes do have the ability to fundamentally change how certain things should be accomplished and, in my opinion at least, should be included in some form into this very new book.

Thanks.
Ian Miell (17) [Avatar] Offline
207106 wrote:Will there be any updates either in the print or digital editions for the changes related to Docker version 1.10? That version has some very significant changes especially relating to security (with new abilities such as user namespace support ) and networking as well as others. If modifying the current book is out of the question, then a supplemental download would also be very much appreciated. While I realize that Docker is a moving target, these changes do have the ability to fundamentally change how certain things should be accomplished and, in my opinion at least, should be included in some form into this very new book.

Thanks.

Hi!
The security changes in 1.10 are indeed significant, and require some explanation - I've already had a few conversations at work where people have misunderstood the significance of these changes ('Docker is now secure, right?')!

Unfortunately the book is in final production so it's too late for the printed version which is due imminently.

Manning I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that buying the book in any form gets you digital updates when they are released.

As an aside, you may want to know that I keep a blog on Docker-related subjects, many of which may find themselves (in more polished form) in a second edition:

https://zwischenzugs.wordpress.com/

And I should plug my co-author's blog here also: http://aidanhs.com/blog/

Ian