Nathan Youngman (53) [Avatar] Offline
new cover
[ 57 KB ]
Learn Go is graced with a new book cover as of January 26th. This change is important to me. The previous cover featured a stereotypical white male programmer. As an illustration, it could've easily been anyone, so it was quite unfortunate.

The new cover is based on a painting by Nicolas Bonnart (France, 1637-1717). Philis is luring a bird with sweets (berries). I don't know that much about the painting or that era yet. Perhaps her pastime was studying the animals and vegetation in her surroundings, or maybe she was was just having some fun. If she were alive today, maybe she would pick up a copy of Learn Go. I hope you find it a pleasure to read.

This week I'm wrapping up some revisions to Learn Go which should be available in the next week or so.

* Revisions to Chapter 4 based on feedback from Learn Go's technical editor.
* A few pages have been cut from Chapter 4, which was a massive 48 pages in MEAP v3. Most of what I cut will return in upcoming chapters.
* I'm working on a new challenge to place at the end of Chapter 2.
* Some chapters have been reorganized in preparation for a big change.

The big change I'm working on for March is spreading Chapters 1-4 across 12 chapters, including a new State and behavior chapter. If you've been reading along, I don't foresee it changing so much that you'll need to read it all again. This is more about refinement.

I'm still working out the new table of contents, but it looks like there will be 20 chapters in total, grouped into six parts. As I will be going back through every chapter, it's a great time to make revisions. Feedback is always welcome here.
275464 (5) [Avatar] Offline
Sounds like a massive refactor. smilie
I have only read the free chapter so far, but am excited about this book. I really like the approach you're taking and want to offer encouragement. I think it will pair very well with Manning's Go Web Programming book.
275464 wrote:Sounds like a massive refactor. smilie
I have only read the free chapter so far, but am excited about this book. I really like the approach you're taking and want to offer encouragement. I think it will pair very well with Manning's Go Web Programming book.

Thank you kindly.

It has been a massive refactor, but it's finally coming together for an April v5 MEAP.

As it stands, the book will contain 24 chapters and 5 challenges, spread across 6 parts. Each chapter is less than 10 pages long to make them easier to digest. For the April MEAP I have 18 chapters and 2 challenges ready.

Hopefully Learn Go pairs well with Go Web Programming and Manning's other books on Go. I need to carve out some time to read them all before I'll know what the transition will be like. I'm planning a final section called "Where to Go from here" that suggests resources to continue learning.

Nathan.
275464 (5) [Avatar] Offline
Hey Manning Editors...what's the hold-up getting the next version posted? Let's get a move-on!
I'm told that the PDF should be ready tomorrow morning. After I have a quick look over, everything should go up.

So hopefully Friday 22nd.