The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Daniil (3) [Avatar] Offline
test.dat
[ 204 bytes ]
test.gp
[ 851 bytes ]
test.png
[ 48 KB ]
Thank you for this book!
There is a problem with file encoding, which i can't solve. I'm trying to generate code for "test.gp" with java/scala, using UTF 8 encoding, and then run it from gnu interactive mode:
gnuplot> set encoding utf8
gnuplot> show locale

gnuplot LC_CTYPE   Russian_Russia.1251
        gnuplot encoding   utf8
        gnuplot LC_TIME    Russian_Russia.1251
        gnuplot LC_NUMERIC C

gnuplot> load "test.gp"  

gnuplot> cd 'C:\Users\Даниил\Documents\Ð?Ñ?пирантура\Графики\Piecewise\test'
                                                                                                  ^
         "test.gp", line 2: Can't change to this directory

Where Даниил realy is path text element in Russian language.
When i just copy generated code into GNU interactive application, plotting proceed fine, but '×' symbol is changed to '?'(see attachments). Where is my error?
philipp.janert (286) [Avatar] Offline
That is odd. I wonder whether the problem lies with the underlying library that
gnuplot uses to implement the "cd" command, and not with gnuplot itself.

I see that you are on Windows, and I am not sure how gnuplot interacts with
the OS to navigate the file system in that case.

Have you tried to perform string operations (like: taking a substring) entirely
within gnuplot, using Cyrillic letters and UTF-8? Does that work?

philipp.janert (286) [Avatar] Offline
Regarding the "?" that shows up in the number format in your plot (as in 1.5?10^7) -
that may be because gnuplot can't find a font that supplies a glyph for the multiplication
cross. Can you place a label onto the plot that includes the multiplication cross?
I assume that problem with console version, because there is manually changing UTF-8 encoding of console to 1251 (see attachment gnuplot console.png). The gnuplot command "set encoding" change encoding at terminals, not at command shell. '×' symbol changing to '?' at command shell or interactive mode, and then ? symbol comes to cairo terminal and terminal plot it.
If i change encoding of generated "test.gp" file to windows 1251, plot command work fine, except for ? instead ×.
I have managed to solve the first problem concerned with Cyrilic symbols. To do so I have changed command shell encoding to UTF-8 (code page 65001) and generate my "test.gp" 1251 encoding (as noted abode, gnuplot change UTF-8 to 1251 when starts). Gnuplot used to change previous encoding to encoding without Cyrillic symbols.