Victor Yocco (28) [Avatar] Offline
Use this message thread to post and discuss your responses to chapter 3's end of chapter exercise.
Kathryn Davis (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hello! Here are my answers to the Chapter 3 exercises. Again, I’m posting my response in hopes of sharing and perhaps dialoging with other readers.

3.6.2. Sticky behaviors

As an instructional designer, the product I have in mind is an online career preparation curriculum that helps learners put their education to work. Learners progress through this content concurrently with their major, allowing them the full length of the program to develop their career plans. The three most important behaviors my learners need to engage in within the first few times they experience this product are as follows.

• 1. Familiarize with the instructional components designed to support planning and pursuing a career trajectory

• 2. Get excited about how nutrition professionals can grow and prosper in the evolving world of health care

• 3. Begin the practice of completing one career topic along with each module of the core curriculum

• 3.6.1. Name that heuristic!

• 1. You tell people your product is going to be the next Facebook of social media sites. You also design features that are similar to “Liking” and “Sharing” what other people are posting. (AVAILABILITY)

• 2. Your e-commerce site has “Midnight Specials” that last only an hour, and you show people how much stock is available for each product. (SCARCITY)

• 3. Your physician’s online portal only displays pictures of male physicians and uses the terms “she” and “her” when referring to medical assistants and nurses. (STEREOTYPE)

• 4. You design an online banking experience that includes a feature showing users how many bills they’ve paid using online bill pay and auto-pay. You also display thank-you messages and provide special offers as people spend more time as customers. (ESCALATION OF COMMITMENT)

• 5. Your political news application allows users to rate each article they read as making them “Happy as a clam” or “Madder than hell.” Each time a user selects one or the other, it starts to fill his clam-o-meter or mad-o-meter. When one of the meters begins to fill up faster, the display colors and language is changed to reflect the corresponding mood. (EMOTIONAL)

• 6. You conduct a competitive analysis and determine navigation categories and the location of key design features for your product based on what your most successful competitors are doing. (FAMILIARITY)