Nathan Youngman (53) [Avatar] Offline
The V2 MEAP includes Chapter 3, which covers functions, methods, and some functional programming concepts.

There are some new illustrations in Chapter 1 & 2 but the text of those chapters hasn't changed for this release.

If you're reading along, I plan to let you know what changes come to earlier chapters for each release, in case you want to look back at them.

Let me know what you think of Chapter 3. The pacing, the exercises, and what it covers. I may expand it a bit more in the future.

Thanks, and if you're in America, Happy Thanksgiving.
lgiglio (7) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Nathan.

Re: " know what changes come to earlier chapters for each release, in case you want to look back at them." ;

is very useful for revision.

Can't wait for p*inters chapter smilie

Happy Thanksgiving,
Laurence.
lgiglio wrote:Thanks Nathan.

Re: " know what changes come to earlier chapters for each release, in case you want to look back at them." ;

is very useful for revision.

Can't wait for p*inters chapter smilie

Happy Thanksgiving,
Laurence.

Thanks. Hopefully *Pointers will make it out in mid-late January. I'm still working on the Collections chapter though. I gotta pick up the pace.
235575 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for ch.3 on functions.

I found this engaging due to the illustration of a 'weather station on Mars'. The use of 'mock' functions made a lot of sense when passing of functions that can be substituted with one that does 'test temperature measures'. This is useful for thinking about testing.

The section on anonymous functions left me wanting for a bit more but I will not hesitate to look at other sources for this now, having this concept brought more to the for in Go. It looks like how similar is done in JavaScript.

The pace is good and the verbosity of comment a good balance.

The code works. Texts I have refereed to in the past, in particular Java programming books can have examples that simply do not compile let alone work. It is good to see that every example in Learning Go so far work out of the box.

The new illustrations are also good to see. This is similar to the use of space tech as a vehicle to engage the reader. If something makes you laugh, you tend to remember more what your reading about.

Nice chapter, looking forward to more, in particular collections.
235575 wrote:Thanks for ch.3 on functions.

You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read it and share your thoughts.

I found this engaging due to the illustration of a 'weather station on Mars'. The use of 'mock' functions made a lot of sense when passing of functions that can be substituted with one that does 'test temperature measures'. This is useful for thinking about testing.

It was driven mostly by necessity. Most of us don't have a thermometer hooked to our computer. Though I'm looking into it smilie

The section on anonymous functions left me wanting for a bit more but I will not hesitate to look at other sources for this now, having this concept brought more to the for in Go. It looks like how similar is done in JavaScript.

Yah, people who know JavaScript will already know about closures and anonymous functions. It's hard to say how many people will be coming to Go without having ever heard of them.

You're not the only one to suggest that Chapter 3 could use a little more on anonymous functions. I plan to expand it before the book goes to print. I need to figure out how to show some variations without it feeling too repetitive, while at the same time keeping with the flow.

The pace is good and the verbosity of comment a good balance.

The code works. Texts I have refereed to in the past, in particular Java programming books can have examples that simply do not compile let alone work. It is good to see that every example in Learning Go so far work out of the box.

The new illustrations are also good to see. This is similar to the use of space tech as a vehicle to engage the reader. If something makes you laugh, you tend to remember more what your reading about.

I really enjoy them too.

Nice chapter, looking forward to more, in particular collections.

The collections chapter is being reviewed by my editor and technical editor. It should be out in a few weeks. I think you'll like it.