25524 (3) [Avatar] Offline
In section 1.6.1 the author says that Spock is the first testing framework in Groovy. This is not accurate Spock was preceded by EasyB (http://easyb.org/). EasyB seems to have been abandoned by the community and by the author(s), but it was the first attempt that I know of to do Groovy based BDD.

Since both Spock and EasyB share the same heritage (RSpec etc.) they actually share quite a bit in style.

It would actually be useful for the community to have a short example of migrating tests from EasyB to Spock. Anyone who used to use EasyB must have a pile of test code in EasyB that by necessity must be migrated, and Spock would be the natural migration target.
Kostis Kapelonis (53) [Avatar] Offline
Hello, I am the author.

First of all, many thanks for your feedback!

I have looked at 1.6.1 but cannot find the place where I say that Spock is the first framework in Groovy. Can you help me pinpoint that part?
It would be helpful if you could provide me with the exact sentence so that I easily fix it.

Just to be sure that we are on the same page, please use the latest version of chapter 1 as linked from https://www.manning.com/books/java-testing-with-spock (under "free downloads")

A migration path from easyB to Spock would be great, but unfortunately the book has passed its page limit, and I cannot add any more content.
After the book is finished, I intend to write some blogs posts with content that did not make it into the book. I think that easyB migraton could be mentioned there.

Kostis
Hi!

Thanks for the response. I tried to find it, but could not find the location easily. It was not in chapter 1, if I recall correctly. It was in a paragraph where you covered several Java alternatives to JUnit. I think I have the location bookmarked on one of my devices, but there was a version update since I saw this, and may have lost the bookmark as a result. I'll try to find it again tomorrow.

Thanks Again
I read again on other devices, with older versions. i simply cannot locate exactly where that comment was. it is certainly not in 1.6.1 so I must have written down the wrong location. Can't find it for the life of me now...
Kostis Kapelonis (53) [Avatar] Offline
It's ok. Perhaps this sentence was present in a really old version of the manuscript and I removed it at some point.

There is still some time to make last minute changes to the book, so if you see anything else like this please let me know.

Kostis