The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

curtc (3) [Avatar] Offline
What's the difference between this book and Manning's own "Angular 2 Development with TypeScript"?

Thanks,

Curt
jeremy.wilken (208) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Curt,

This is a great question and I will do my best to answer with clarity. I've been emailing the editors to ensure I get the correct details about the other book as well before I answered this.

Both books will work together as two different types of guides to Angular 2. Angular 2 Development with Typescript is all about getting you up and running by building a single application and very focused on Typescript as well. It is intended as a practical working guide to getting your hands into working with the sample application. Angular 2 in Action is a deeper dive into the many aspects of Angular 2, such as digging into the internals of how the application renders, looking at the various ecosystem components such as server rendering, and bringing a lot of focus into not just building with Angular 2 but understanding it in depth. In fact, the two authors who were working on AngularJS in Depth are working with me, and you can't ask for two more knowledgeable and detailed writers.

Both books will cover some of the same core functionalities and content, such as getting started details and basics of Typescript. Yes, there will inevitably be some overlap, but we're working to ensure the books are both strong and do not duplicate the same things over and over. The early stages of the book are more difficult to differentiate, since its a lot of getting started/setup type material, so don't just a book by its cover smilie

Hopefully you will find value in both books, though certain developers may find one suits their learning needs better. Angular 2 is still in development, so these books are both working against a moving target. As things get more stable and we've got better clarity on all of the moving parts, we'll be able to articulate even better about the differences.

Jeremy