The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

376231 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I get the following error on all my Chapter 2 exercises.

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://devices.webofthings.io/pi/sensors/temperature. No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'null' is therefore not allowed access.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Vlad Trifa (16) [Avatar] Offline
Hello, thanks for your remark. Quick question: what browser type and version are you using? Do you have the same result when trying with other browsers (recent version firefox/safari/chrome)?

We will look into this, but in the meanwhile, the easiest thing you could do (and should work) is to simply open the files directly (double-click on them so they have a file://... URL) as opposed to host in on a server (apache, etc.).

We'd love to know how it works.
376231 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Vlad. I had the same problem with all browsers. Using file:// did not work either.
domguinard (71) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there,

We'd like to help but have troubles reproducing the errors. Which operating system do you use? Did you try opening the file in the browser directly (file:/// or C:... on Windows, drag and drop should also work) or do you publish it via a Web server?

Also: did you get the latest version of the code? We pushed several fixes lately.

We tested again all the examples on Windows and Mac OSx with Firefox (>41) and Chrome (>46) which are the suggested browsers. Safari (>9) should also work.
Internet Explorer is unfortunately not supported (because of several incompatibilities among which CORS which is an essential feature for the WoT). We added a note in the book to mention that.

Let us know how that works.