57616 (3) [Avatar] Offline
I'm having problems creating hydration ISO's (building the lab machines). I've attempted multiple times to rebuild the lab environment but have never been able to get what I believe to be a complete ISO build. There were times when I'd try to boot a VM to install the OS, it would crash shortly after selecting the VM to install. I moved to a different deployment server and got past that, but then after the CM01 machine finished installing, I would go to logon and check CM, but CM was not installed. all those steps were done with MEAP book v10. I see where there was an update to the book, v11 so I downloaded and tried to build the labs with the new instructions for local PC Win 10. When trying to open the workbench, there is an error that Win 8.1 ADK must be installed first. Even thought the directs to install Win 10 ADK (which is was). So I went back and installed Win 8.1 ADK and could then update the Media Content and build the ISO. That successfully completed, however, when I install the CM01 machine, it does not have CM installed!!! uuuuugggg

I'm wondering how much of a problem would it be to provide install and configuration instructions for installing CM, so that the other labs in the book work as designed. I think (believe) the PC CM01 is otherwise setup correctly, so if I can install CM manually, then hopefully I can do the rest of the labs.

respectfully,

Dean Dahle
James Bannan (21) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Dean,

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the Hydration component of the lab. Certainly the shift from ADK 8.1/MDT 2013 to ADK 10/MDT 2013 Update 1 can cause issues.

One question first - did you create the Hydration environment from the Git repository? (https://github.com/jamesbannan/configmgr-month-of-lunches). When I ran through the updated Hydration environment, that was the code I used (on a blank workstation) to verify that the process worked OK.

In answer to your question - yes, it would be possible to provide a very high-level documented process for manually installing the lab environment. The best place to put it would be in the Git repository rather than the book, as the Hydration kit was designed to provide a working environment whilst keeping the word count to a minimum smilie

In the interim, make sure that you're using the Hydration code from the Git repository and run through the process again. If you're still experiencing problems, feel free to contact me directly and I'll help you through the process.

Regards,
James
Thank you James,

yes, I downloaded the zip file from the GitHub site. Initially I downloaded Johan's hydration script and after a couple attempts went back and realized I that instance was not yours. So back to GitHub and saw the download zip on the right side of the page.

I'm wondering if the problem is the SSCM2012 files I downloaded. in the book, you have links to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager R2 SP1.

When I download, I'm presented with ...

System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection SP1

SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP.exe
SC2012_R2_SP1_Configmgr.exe

The second listing did not have EXTADSCH.exe file, so I would go to the first listed exe and use that files EXTADSCH.exe file. On my last attempt at creating the lab, I copied both SC2012_R2_SP1_Configmgr.exe and SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP.exe over to the deployment share location, but I got the same results as when I copied just SC2012_R2_SP1_Configmgr.exe to the deployment share.

I hope all the above is not so convoluted that you can't understand what I was doing.

thank you for any direction you can give me!

thanks,

Dean
James Bannan (21) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Dean,

It has caused quite a bit of confusion - the basic idea is that the SP1 build is for existing R2 installations, while the SP2 build is for new builds. But the reality is that they both have the same code base and can both be used for clean builds smilie

Have a look in the Install-ConfigMgr2012.wsf file - this is the installation wrapper for the MDT application, and points you to the installation log for ConfigMgr (C:\ConfigMgrSetup.log). This is the primary place to check for installation errors. It might simply be that ConfigMgr is failing some kind of prereq check.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
James
Greetings James,

In short, I have what appears to be a complete install of Configuration Manager and the other components like SQL. I don't know what my problem was previously, but as an F.Y.I. I'll provide what I was able to determine. On examining the Config Manager Setup log from the last install, I found the following.

ERROR: Failed to get Software\Microsoft\SMS, Full Version $$<Configuration Manager Setup><09-21-2015
INFO: Failed to connect to registry to determine if Configuration Manager console is installed
ERROR: Failed to find the ADK tool kit. You must install it. $$<Configuration Manager Setup><09-21-2015
ERROR: Failed to find the ADK tool kit. You must install it. $$<Configuration Manager Setup><09-21-2015
CWmi::Connect(): ConnectServer(Namespace) failed.
CSql Error: Cannot find data for connection type: TEST_ROLE_ACCESS, cannot get a connection.

During the install of my deployment server, I'd get to 2.3, step 1 and install Win 10 ADK. no problems with the install that I could tell Step 2, install the MDT installer also completed just fine.

Then at step 2.3.2, Step 1, I could not expand the Hydration Deployment Share. I'd get "The Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) is required for interacting with depoloyment shares. Please install Windows 8.1 ADK." So I would go back and install Win 8.1 ADK, select just the two options as in Win 10 ADK. Then I could expand the Hydration Deployment Share and complete 2.3.2 successfully and update the media content.

On my last attempt to build the deployment share, I also had to repeat the same steps above with the Win 10 and Win 8.1 ADK's. So why it worked for me this last time and not the previous times I don't know.

As a reference, I'm building my VM's and deployment server on a Citrix XenServer install. When I would try to build a deployment server using MEAP Month....v10, on the Xen servers, I always would always complete the install and then when I tried to boot the a VM off the new ISO, I would fail in the install just seconds to within a minute of starting, and report that an error occurred and the setup or install stopped. Sorry I didn't write down the exact error message. So then I took my deployment server off Xen server and put it on a physical box. completed the install and created the ISO. I moved my ISO to a share the VM's could get to, and successfully ran all three lab installs. But there was no Configuration Manager installed on CM01. So I tried repeating the deployment build both on the physical and Xen server as a VM. I got the same results from each. the Xen server would not completed a lab machine build from the ISO and the physical server ISO did not have configuration server installed. That is when I downloaded v11 of you book and repeated everything on the Xen server. I was successful in building an ISO that could be used to create the lab machines, but there was no configuration manager installed.

I believe my problems arose out of the version or configuration manager downloads I was using. I know a the start, I had two different sources I was pulling files form . The extadsch.exe file was not available in one of the downloads I was using, and the source of extadsch.exe did not seem to me to have all the source files for config manager.... On my last two or three attempts to create a deployment server, I downloaded all the source files again, fresh from the files I used at the beginning. And the last couple times building the deployment server, my extadsch.exe file came from the same source as the files I copied to the hydration share.

I'm confident all my problems except maybe one, was caused by myself, by the files I used or the systems I'm using... the one issue I'm not sure about is the relative to the ADK... my deployment server is Server 2012 on Xen server. If I only install Win 10 ADK, I can't open the hydration share and can't create the ISO. I have to also install Win 8.1 ADK, in order to complete the ISO build... I don't know if that is an issue or if again, it's related to specifically to me and what I'm doing.

I glad I can now move on to the other labs. thanks for your willingness to assist and the info you gave. I'll keep this ISO a golden one and not lose it!

thanks,

Dean

90922 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I have experienced the same issue Made the iso and when it comes to building the client01 there is no entry to do so.
378876 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I was able to successfully complete the hydration script setups for the VMs, meaning I received a successful message however CCM is not installed CM01.

I did notice that the .wsf script file to install configmgr refers to \Source\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64\setup.exe however my HydrationConfigMgr\DS\Applications\Install - ConfigMgr\Source\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64\Configmgr2012R2sp1.msi is only file I see in that directory.

I downloaded System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection SP1 which actually has two downloads, SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP.exe and SC2012_R2_SP1_Configmgr.exe and the Configmgr.exe only has Configmgr2012R2SP1.msi

Have I downloaded the wrong thing? Has the installer for it changed from what works with the script or is something else happening?

Thanks for any assistance!
jhalv (1) [Avatar] Offline
Section 2.4 Build error
I cant seem to use the MoLConfigMgr.iso to build the VM's . I keep receiving the error "The Deployment Wizard was cancelled or did not complete successfully. The deployment will not proceed."

Update:

James help me discover that I was using the wrong ADK version (RTM) on my host system instead off the ADK (1511) and clarified to me that the (RTM) version gets placed into the HydrationConfigMgr folder. Most helpful author I've ever contacted.
434776 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I love the book so far, but I am stuck. I followed everything step by step but when I build CM01 that is when everything goes down hill. I watch the process and nothing seems to fail but that may be because proceed on error is configured. The end result is a machine with SQL. It joins the domain fine. The logs seem to reveal some red flags. I am sure I downloaded the correct SCCM but I hope I wasn't wrong.

Is there a manual way of getting CM01 up and running. Unfortunately I have tried multiple times and I am so tired. I am thankful for the author because he had to put in a lot of work.

I really want to get through this so any help is highly appreciated. Once I get through this its off to learn powershell.
402377 (1) [Avatar] Offline
James Bannan wrote:Hi Dean,

It has caused quite a bit of confusion - the basic idea is that the SP1 build is for existing R2 installations, while the SP2 build is for new builds. But the reality is that they both have the same code base and can both be used for clean builds smilie

Have a look in the Install-ConfigMgr2012.wsf file - this is the installation wrapper for the MDT application, and points you to the installation log for ConfigMgr (C:\ConfigMgrSetup.log). This is the primary place to check for installation errors. It might simply be that ConfigMgr is failing some kind of prereq check.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
James

Mr Bannan,

I am attempting to setup SC ConfigMgr in a test environment at my work. They are heavily invested in VMware/vSphere and all that that entails. I believe that we can reduce cost and training if we use native Microsoft tools, and when we being to automate being setup with SC will make it an easier step forward to begin using Azure.

My question is: Could you please list in detail the requirements to customize the DC01 Domain that is created in Chapter 2: Setting up your lab environment. I am able to build the Deployment media following your book's instructions without issue and greatly appreciate the ease of use and time saved with having it so fully automated. If I could customize the domain name to something more relevant to our environment then I would have an amazing starting place to then show my team the full power of System Center.
I am specifically calling out the "(continued)" dark box at the top of page 18 where you claim that this involves a significant amount of editing. If I could get references to the powershell script parameters etc. as a starting point that would save me numerous hours over the next few weeks reverse engineering your GitHub work.