370214 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Page 117 in the PDF

When working on todo_crud.ex (TodoList module) and trying to use it in iex (following the example "iex todo_crud.ex) I keep getting the error

(CompileError) todo_crud.ex:4: TodoList.__struct__/0 is undefined, cannot expand struct TodoList
    (elixir) src/elixir_map.erl:55: :elixir_map.translate_struct/4
    (elixir) src/elixir_clauses.erl:36: :elixir_clauses.clause/7
    (elixir) src/elixir_def.erl:178: :elixir_def.translate_clause/7
    (elixir) src/elixir_def.erl:167: :elixir_def.translate_definition/8
    (elixir) src/elixir_def.erl:82: :elixir_def.store_definition/9
    todo_crud.ex:4: (module)

I looked for errors in my code and couldn't find any as well as copying verbatim the code from the Elixir in Action repo on github. Is this occuring because the complete module has not been compiled yet and the struct is being called?
sjuric (86) [Avatar] Offline
I just verified and the code works fine.
This is most likely happening because you have compiled some previous version of the TodoList module with elixirc. Could you please check that same folder for *.beam files, delete them if they exist, and try again?

370214 wrote:Page 117 in the PDF

When working on todo_crud.ex (TodoList module) and trying to use it in iex (following the example "iex todo_crud.ex) I keep getting the error

(CompileError) todo_crud.ex:4: TodoList.__struct__/0 is undefined, cannot expand struct TodoList
    (elixir) src/elixir_map.erl:55: :elixir_map.translate_struct/4
    (elixir) src/elixir_clauses.erl:36: :elixir_clauses.clause/7
    (elixir) src/elixir_def.erl:178: :elixir_def.translate_clause/7
    (elixir) src/elixir_def.erl:167: :elixir_def.translate_definition/8
    (elixir) src/elixir_def.erl:82: :elixir_def.store_definition/9
    todo_crud.ex:4: (module)

I looked for errors in my code and couldn't find any as well as copying verbatim the code from the Elixir in Action repo on github. Is this occuring because the complete module has not been compiled yet and the struct is being called?
370214 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Ahh I see. Stupid mistake on my part. Thank you.
sjuric (86) [Avatar] Offline
It's just a consequence of the fact that simple scripts are used at this early stage in the book.
In chapter 7, the "mix" tool is introduced and used throughout the rest of the book to properly build Elixir projects. With this tool such errors shouldn't happen smilie

370214 wrote:Ahh I see. Stupid mistake on my part. Thank you.
scott hamilton (1) [Avatar] Offline
That one got me too