123avi (30) [Avatar] Offline
Hi ,
Just a note, using scalaZ in the samples and in the source code makes it hard to read if you are not familiar with this library .

Debasish Ghosh (113) [Avatar] Offline
This is a book on domain modeling and assumes a knowledge of the functional programming principles as used in Scala. It would be impossible to explain and implement all FP abstractions and then explain domain modeling. Hence using a library that implements these abstractions needed to be used. And what better a library is there than scalaz ?

I agree there's a learning curve involved. But this learning curve would have been much bigger if I tried to reinvent the wheel and come up with another library. One thing I believe strongly is that it's worthwhile learning scalaz if you want to do functional programming in Scala.

Thanks.
123avi (30) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you. actually the code in scalaZ caught me by surprise. I did expect for example, that the DI shown in CH5 will be implemented with the Reader and not with scalaZ, and using Either rather than \ /, but I do take your recommendation that "it's worthwhile learning scalaz if you want to do functional programming in Scala". Again, I just wrote is as a note. I really enjoy the book and find it extremely both educational and practical and I appreciate that.