The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

123avi (31) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for this great book , I really find it useful and start implement it's principles in my projects . however I am missing the point regarding the Functor pattern , while I understand the functionality I'm missing what's the big deal?. looking at the example in pg 126-127 we just replaced the mapping :
def calculateInterest(no: String) = accountFor(no).map(interestOn)

with a functor mapping
def calculateInterest(no: String) = fmap(accountFor(no))(interestOn)
how is it making it more reusable ?
Debasish Ghosh (116) [Avatar] Offline
The core value of abstractions like Functor, Monad, Applicative etc. is parametricity, which means that they allow you to write generic functions. This is a huge value which you cannot do using only the Standard Scala library. Here's a very simple example that uses Functor :-

def foo[F[_]: Functor, A, B](f: F[A])(g: A => B) = f map g

This is a very simple example but it demonstrates the power of parametricity. The function foo is completely independent of any specific type. The only constraint it imposes is that F needs to be a Functor. So you can call this function with any F that provides an instance of a Functor. e.g.

scala> val g: Int => Int = _ * 4
g: Int => Int = <function1>

scala> foo(Option(10))(g)
res10: Option[Int] = Some(40)

scala> foo(List(1,2,3))(g)
res11: List[Int] = List(4, 8, 12)

You can have this reusability only because you have the generic Functor abstraction. The book discusses many such parametric functions in domain modeling in chapters 3 and 4. Let me know if you need any more explanation.

Thanks.