265740 (1) [Avatar] Offline
The version of Puppet used in Vagrant is incompatible with the latest nodejs puppet installation package. To fix this, I modified the Vagrantfile line 34 (where it provisions the puppetlabs-nodejs package) as follows:

puppet module install --version 0.7.1 puppetlabs-nodejs

i.e., I simply specified that version 0.7.1 of the package be installed, rather than the latest one.

The rest of the provisioning then completed successfully.
377417 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Could you please indicate the versions of every package for the example on github? thanks.-
377417 wrote:Could you please indicate the versions of every package for the example on github? thanks.-

Impossible to make it work on macosx directly following the instructions of the book smilie
333622 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I'm with @377417. I too cannot get this to work on Mac. OS X El Capitan.
Finally I made it work though in the process shows several errors (don't know if at some point they become a problem).
Anyway, there is an ELK box here https://github.com/comperiosearch/vagrant-elk-box which for me worked immediately in El Capitan.
22721 (2) [Avatar] Offline
I followed the instructions on the appendix A to run vagrant up; install ELK server, but, I got the following error messages:
Note: My laptop OS is OS X EI Capitan

==> default: Running provisioner: puppet...
==> default: Running Puppet with default.pp...
==> default: stdin: is not a tty
==> default: Could not retrieve java_default_home: undefined method `strip' for nil:NilClass
==> default: Could not retrieve mongodb_is_master: uninitialized constant Facter::Core
==> default: Could not retrieve java_default_home: undefined method `strip' for nil:NilClass
==> default: Could not retrieve mongodb_version: uninitialized constant Facter::Core
==> default: warning: Could not retrieve fact fqdn
==> default: Syntax error at '{'; expected '}' at /etc/puppet/modules/apt/manifests/init.pp:19 on node precise64
The SSH command responded with a non-zero exit status. Vagrant
assumes that this means the command failed. The output for this command
should be in the log above. Please read the output to determine what
went wrong.

Something wrong with the vagrant file? how to fix it?
I am looking forward to see your solution.
Thanks a lot in advanced.