The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

353857 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, the products I work on are very much service oriented, though not reactive as you've defined. The remote RPC calls take place via proxy that looks as if it were a local call, using TCP and some built in load balancing on the client side. I've been thinking long and hard about whether there is a better way, short of convincing the entire organization to reimplement everything. One idea that came to mind is to use a message bus (ie, RabbitMQ or Kafka) as an RPC mechanism to shift load balancing to the server. One major downside is the introduction of a point of failure.

So now, my question - does anyone have any practical recommendations for organizations that use SoA in the manner I described? If object oriented RPC is the pattern in play, is switching to RPC via message bus worth the effort, and are there any other advantages I am overlooking?

Thanks!