The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Aleksey Studnev (1) [Avatar] Offline
First of all thank you for the book - i read it with pleasure and it was extremely helpfull

However, i was very dissapointed with mondrian 4. It looked like a better alternative to mondrian 3, and definitely a big step forward in terms of architecture, especially what concerns schema, aggregate support, etc.

In practice all that does not look so good. Specifically, i met with a bunch of problems in mondrian 4, namely:

1) aggregates are not used when they should. It means that when aggregate is defined in the cube, it will only used to load segment, but not a tuple.

2) the code around aggregates, in mondiran 4 simply commented, and there is no development in this area.

3) the quality of the code for mondrian 4 looks very poor, comparing to mondiran 3. i mean that architecture should be changed, but it was stopped at some point, and the trails of old architecture still appear ( like virtual cubes, aggr stars, etc...)

4) vertica not supported in 4.X, need a patch to work

All these could be a problems of earlier development, but mondrian 4 exists for a long time, and new releases ( 4.0, 4.1, ... 4.3 ) generated with no visible enhancements in these areas.

I got impression that mondrian 4 development stalled and it is better to switch back to monrian v 3.X.
What do you think?