The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rickumali (134) [Avatar] Offline
I've decided to write a short blog-type post every week here on this forum. These posts are exclusive to this forum, and they will primarily be about the writing of the book.

As I predicted in BLOG #51, I spent the past week going through corrections. The PDFs are now considered 'page proofs', and I went over captions, figures, indentations, line breaks and annotations. I could trust the text, but the layout could have jarred some elements from their intended positions.

Corrections are done right to the PDF (unless I wanted to submit an indexed list of corrections). I was surprised to learn that the standard Adobe Reader supports a basic highlight and comment facility. I could select words to highlight, and attach a comment to the highlight, enabling me to call out corrections (abbreviated as crx). (See picture below.) Clicking on the "Comment" button (upper-right of the picture) lists all the corrections.

I believe there's one or two more rounds of this. The books feels more real than ever. Soon I'll be dusting off a draft of my "front matter", which includes my acknowledgements, and the book will be very near the finish line.

Thank you, everyone, for reading!