Debasish Ghosh (113) [Avatar] Offline
Hello -

Thanks everybody for contributing towards the betterment of Functional and Reactive Domain Modeling. I have been receiving lots of feedback on how to improve the contents and have been working on them.

Just thought of discussing one point regarding the exercises and quizzes. It would be wonderful if u take some of your time and let me know your views on this. I have a few questions which should decide how to best have the quizzes in the book.

• In the beginning I had some quizzes in chapter 1. There was a mixed feedback on the style in which the quizzes were presented. The answers were there in the book but after a few paragraphs so that the reader gets enough time to think of the answer before looking at it. Does this look a viable option ? Or you have any better suggestion ?

• Besides quizzes I am plugging in some solid exercises which involve comprehensive modeling and programming. Hope you find them useful. The answers to those questions will not be part of the book - I am planning to have them as part of the online repository though. What do you think of this approach ?

• Thanks.
    Tomer Ben David (8) [Avatar] Offline
    As for question 2 Great approach. I can say that the coursera reactive and scala programming courses online excercises where I downloaded an already compiling source code where some of it did not contain any implementation and unit tests did not pass until i implemented all the ??? did the trick for me. It did the trick because it was very fast to bootstrap the project, it was very quick to find what i need to implement by looking at the ??? and after submitting the excercises I got grades and review of the errors which was also great. I could get back to the web site and see where I stand which units I already completed and which not, what is the deadline. as much as it can get closer to this style would be better for me. So just to stress out the strongest parts were: easy to download repository. its compiling locally on first shot. unit tests do not pass until I complete the exercise. any grader + tracking like coursera had on my progress and grades is nice to have. By the way this is an extraordinary book how about a coursera course on this?
    Fred Verheul (1) [Avatar] Offline
    My 2 cts:

I didn't really care for the quizzes of chapter 1. They got more interesting in chapter 2 (more concrete and puzzle-like I guess). The way you present them though is excellent and certainly better than putting the responses at the end of the chapter/book, which would make it much harder to navigate back and forth.

Regarding the programming exercises: depending on how much context needs to be given (the "exercise description") I'd appreciate it if the exercises themselves would be in the book (end of chapter or even per paragraph?), because it makes for easy reading. In this way I can have a look in the book itself to see whether I want to tackle the problems or not. Links to Github (or wherever) would be appreciated.
    Sample solutions don't need to be in the book, as this would make the book much more voluminous, and a code repository is a better place anyway.
    I agree with Tomer Ben David that sample projects with scaffolding and all and just some ??? to complete would be awesome. OTOH, it also looks like it could be quite a lot of work for you, so if you think this is too much, I can't blame you smilie. If time wise it's gonna be a choice of (more) content vs (elaborate) exercises, give me the content please smilie

Thanks for this book, it's looking very good so far!

Cheers, Fred