255977 (2) [Avatar] Offline
My question is how have people found the best way to use this book?

What I mean is, I was intending to build up the Angello app. as I worked through the book, however, the only code I find (on Github) is the finished version?

The book contains the additional code and concepts in each chapter as one works through but what do you work with as a base?

At the moment I find my self stripping down the finished code to add back the items that I need to learn - seems like an unproductive way to work and is probably not what the authors intended.
Lukas Ruebbelke (107) [Avatar] Offline
Good question!

Because we get into the "real" Angello in Chapter 3, start with the ch03-views-and-controllers branch in the repo.

https://github.com/angularjs-in-action/angello/tree/ch03-views-and-controllers

I am considering breaking out the repo into a few more branches so the readers can jump in at start working on a specific concept. Would that be helpful?
255977 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Yes - I think that would be helpful, especially for those who want to focus on specific learnings (and are time poor smilie).

Thanks.
372567 (12) [Avatar] Offline
My two cents.

I am taking an entry level course in Udemy on HTML, CSS, etc. It is a great course. What I like about the course is the fact that each lab/exercise is stand alone and bite sized. The student has to do minimal setup work in order to work in a given lab. He enters something, sees the results, and learning takes place. [This is what the law of effect predicts.]

I agree that HTML and CSS are not as difficult as AngularJS but bite sized labs are possible in any subject matter. They augment the book.

For instance, one lab can get the student to set up an UL loop using ngRepeat, the next lab can get the student to set up an outer loop and inner loop using two ngRepeats (the first one say can loop for status in statuses and the second one for story in stories). I don't know how much work all these is but the student will get a solid drilling on concepts.

I will get off the soap box now smilie
372567 (12) [Avatar] Offline
> I am considering breaking out the repo into a few more branches so the readers can jump in at start working on a specific concept. Would that be helpful?

Yes.