The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

jfs.world (121) [Avatar] Offline
is the "work in process (WIP)" in section 1.2.1 ("Process model") actually "work in progress (WIP)"?
david.nicolette (6) [Avatar] Offline
I've seen WIP defined in both ways, as "work in process" and as "work in progress" in different sources. I've seen "work in process" far more often and I think it's the more generally-accepted term. But there's really no difference. For the book I picked the one that seemed to be more commonly used, for consistency.
david.nicolette wrote:I've seen WIP defined in both ways, as "work in process" and as "work in progress" in different sources. I've seen "work in process" far more often and I think it's the more generally-accepted term. But there's really no difference. For the book I picked the one that seemed to be more commonly used, for consistency.

I see. I guess it wasn't clear from my post, but if consistency's what you're striving for, you'll need to fix the text. I keep seeing "steer(ing) work in progress" throughout the chapter.... And "work in process" is really the only one time when I've seen "work in process" used instead!
david.nicolette (6) [Avatar] Offline
I see what you mean. Yes, that does sound inconsistent. The book has gone to press now so I guess we'll have to live with it. For what it's worth, WIP is a buzz-term and "steering work in progress" is just an English phrase. I'm not trying to dodge the inconsistency, just clarifying. Sorry about the confusion! I hope you'll be able to read past that sort of thing and get to the substance.
david.nicolette wrote:I see what you mean. Yes, that does sound inconsistent. The book has gone to press now so I guess we'll have to live with it. For what it's worth, WIP is a buzz-term and "steering work in progress" is just an English phrase. I'm not trying to dodge the inconsistency, just clarifying. Sorry about the confusion! I hope you'll be able to read past that sort of thing and get to the substance.

smilie I'm trying to, and I appreciate your continued participation and help even after the book has gone to press.