The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

GDW62 (94) [Avatar] Offline
So I purchased the MEAP for this book on June 24, 2009 (whoops...that was actually only 4 years & 359 days ago) knowing that MEAP release dates are just estimates and can be unpredictable. I believe that Groovy 1.6.3 had just been released at that time.

A few days ago I receive a message from UPS that I will be receiving a package from Edwards Brothers Malloy. Not remembering ordering anything from them, I decided that it would just be a (hopefully) pleasant surprise when it arrives. Lo and behold, I was quite surprised to receive GiA-2E which I had long ago forgotten about.

I wonder if there are enough cool new features in v2.4 to entice me to start using Groovy again. Hmmm...food for thought.

BTW, after ~25-30 previous Manning book purchases, I haven't purchased anything from them in over 3 years because the waits started to become so ridiculous (on this and other books I purchased). They do have the cool covers going for them though.
tead (7) [Avatar] Offline
Not surprisingly, we’ve gotten several comments from MEAP readers about the unusually long time this book required to publish. The authors faced the daunting challenge of writing the book at the same time they were making major changes to Groovy itself. In retrospect, we may have chosen a good time to start the second edition. On the positive side, MEAP readers who purchased this book shortly after we launched it got to see the open source development process unfold in real time.

This book holds the record for the longest time in MEAP, although the first edition of Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja is a close second. It’s never our intention to move this slowly, and most MEAPs publish in 9-12 months from their initial launch date. Just a reminder, if you’re dissatisfied with a book you’ve purchased in MEAP, you can exchange it for another one. (Check out the MEAP FAQ [http://manning.com/about/meap.html] for details.)

We hope the book, which covers Groovy 2.4, was worth the wait. As always, thanks for being a loyal Manning customer.

Customer Support
Manning Publications