The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rickumali (134) [Avatar] Offline
I've decided to write a short blog-type post every week here on this forum. These posts are exclusive to this forum, and they will primarily be about the writing of the book.

Earlier in the year, I wrote about a simple script to rename the raw picture files into the correctly named files expected by the publisher. That script is now much more complex. Instead of a single BASH script single-handedly renaming files, it is now a Ruby script that reads a master list of figures.

The program evolved because as the book progressed, I began moving pictures into different places. This required manually renumbering the figures in the script itself. I realized that the script could handle the numbering of the pictures. The Ruby program that I wrote reads a master list of figures. Whenever there is a new chapter, I insert a line with a two-digit number signifying this.

The master file looks like this:
# This is used by work_figures.rb
# This is the master list of figures in the gitbook
# Use work_figures to get the figure_map.csv file

In the example, 01 and 02 represent the start of chapters 1 and 2. Whenever I move the figures around, I don't have to calculate the number. I just move the picture to the right spot, and ask the program to renumber the list. In the above listing, single_point_of_contention is renamed to 01_01.png. The program not only renumbers the files, it generates a CSV file that maps the figure to the correct figure number, and it copies the correctly named figures into a directory that I can compress and send to the publisher.

For people who want to try this out, the program is on a GitHub gist:

Check it out! Thank You for reading!