The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Rene Rubalcava (12) [Avatar] Offline
In addition to the source code on github, I have added a samples page where you can view the code samples in action.

Thank you!
JMing (4) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Rene,
Appreciate that you can put the sample application online for everyone. But, many of them seems not work well.
I tried the apps in Chapter6. Except the first one, the others show nothing after clicking. Is there anything missed by me?
Or can you fix those apps and update the source code for us? The reason we want the sample online apps is to see how the correct code work. So please check the codes. Thank you
The issues in these is that the OAuth is not set up for those URLs, which I have to do on the ArcGIS developers site. I'll work on that today. Thanks.
365215 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for adding sample pages; however, some of the samples do not work for us. I am using Windows 7 (64-bit). I have tried Firefox, Chrome, and IE11. The Legend example of Chapter 3 just brings up a blank screen with a blank green banner. To alleviate this problem, you might be able to apply a fix to your sample that someone posted on another thread in this forum. The Chapter 4 app brings up the map, but after you click the button and it says "Adding Request", when you click the map nothing happens. I have tried all three browsers. If we can't even get the samples to work for ourselves, how can we can count on building web apps that will be portable for the general public?
365215 wrote:Thank you for adding sample pages; however, some of the samples do not work for us. I am using Windows 7 (64-bit). I have tried Firefox, Chrome, and IE11. The Legend example of Chapter 3 just brings up a blank screen with a blank green banner. To alleviate this problem, you might be able to apply a fix to your sample that someone posted on another thread in this forum. The Chapter 4 app brings up the map, but after you click the button and it says "Adding Request", when you click the map nothing happens. I have tried all three browsers. If we can't even get the samples to work for ourselves, how can we can count on building web apps that will be portable for the general public?

Thanks.

The chapter3 sample has been updated. The change done there to add a "/" before the js folder name doesn't always need to be done in applications depending on local server or remote.

The chapter 4 sample is just the first step to the larger sample in the book, so it does not do any editing and is working correctly.

Thanks!
JMing (4) [Avatar] Offline
JMing wrote:Hi Rene,
Appreciate that you can put the sample application online for everyone. But, many of them seems not work well.
I tried the apps in Chapter6. Except the first one, the others show nothing after clicking. Is there anything missed by me?
Or can you fix those apps and update the source code for us? The reason we want the sample online apps is to see how the correct code work. So please check the codes. Thank you

It's been a while since last question. I just tried Chapter 6 again, and have found something useful.
To make login function works for at least Chapter 6 part 2 - part 5, There are few steps every reader should take.
1) get a ArcGIS developer account and publish an application with it. Detailed instruction can be found on this book.
2) Replace appId for each OAuthInfo object in main.js file. (or inside OAuthHelper.init)
3) Add the URL of the web application you are testing into "Authentication tag, Current Redirect URLs" within the web app you created before with ArcGIS developer account, which is mentioned in step one.

This should do the trick. Do notice when you add redirect urls,
It's different between http://ming/chapter6/part4/app/ AND http://ming/chapter6/part4/app/index.html
After you add redirect URLs, you need wait for 10 minutes give or take, before you test again.