The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

246145 (1) [Avatar] Offline
On 3.2.2, the last bullet point of the implementation's features reads:

A typical invocation of the smart constructor could be DayOfWeek.dayOfWeek(n).map(schedule), where schedule is a function that schedules a job on the DayOfWeek that it gets as input

If the function actually schedules a job, the method used should be foreach, since it just performs a side effect. A map would transform a Option[DayOfWeek] into a Option[ScheduleJob] type, which I guess it's not what's intended.
Of course you can use map to perform a side effect but it's misleading. So IMHO it should be:

DayOfWeek.dayOfWeek(n).foreach(schedule)
Debasish Ghosh (116) [Avatar] Offline
Hmm .. Though schedulers like Quartz offer a schedule API that returns the earliest time when the job will be scheduled to run, I think you are correct that "schedule" is basically a side-effecting function. I will change the "map" to "foreach". It may not make to the next MEAP though (the version for which have already been uploaded), but will in a future one. I will create an issue in Github and take care of it.

Thanks for the good observation.