The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Ian Miell (17) [Avatar] Offline
This is a message to kick things off here.

The buzz around this book is very exciting! Having laboured at docker for over a year, it's really satisfying to see how others are interesting in following the path we've trodden.

We're very keen to hear how the book can be improved, and whether our coverage and handling of the topics are appropriate. Please do tell us what we're doing well, as well as what we're not!
Anonymous (122) [Avatar]
Docker for Windows
Section 2.1 This is most obviously shown by the fact that the docker client will run on Windows, but the daemon will not (yet)!

It seems Docker already support Windows, please refer to https://docs.docker.com/installation/windows/. Thanks
Anonymous (122) [Avatar]
Docker for Windows
Hi!

Thanks for the first post!

The docker daemon will not run under windows. You can, however, run a VM within windows, and run Docker within that, (or run a RESTful client) which is the current state of affairs. It's understood that MS will be doing more work around Docker compatibility for their next server release.

Does that make sense?

Ian

Anonymous wrote:Section 2.1 This is most obviously shown by the fact that the docker client will run on Windows, but the daemon will not (yet)!

It seems Docker already support Windows, please refer to https://docs.docker.com/installation/windows/. Thanks
Anonymous (122) [Avatar]
Figure 1.3 Software delivery Before and After Docker
Figure 1.3 mentions AWS without any previous introduction. I think is necessary to clarify what AWS means Amazon Web Services and why it is used in the figure 1.3.
Anonymous (122) [Avatar]
Figure 1.3 Software delivery Before and After Docker
Anonymous wrote:Figure 1.3 mentions AWS without any previous introduction. I think is necessary to clarify that AWS means Amazon Web Services and why it is used in the figure 1.3.
Anonymous (122) [Avatar]
Thanks! You're right, that could confuse people.
We'll be sure to spell it out.
Ian
Kent Johnson (1) [Avatar] Offline
It is great to have a Docker book made by someone from the Docker team. I have enjoyed using it so far and am looking forward to redesign my entire configuration management approach to have a foundation in Docker.

Do you plan to cover usage of RancherOS anywhere in your manual? What about Service Discovery?

My main interest is in how to attach Docker containers to a local domain and resolve requests to containers just like resolving requests to VM hosts in a domain. I am working on getting that working now and have looked at Consul and SkyDock to name a few. I hear AirBnB has their own custom rolled solution though I want to use regular old BIND9 DNS with Docker to make the cognitive load needed to use Docker containers as DNS-resolvable domain endpoints as simple as it was with Virtual Machines.

This probably means my Docker Host will have to run DNS or run an app that listens for Docker events on the local docker socket and then updates a remote DNS host. Nevertheless, I want to stay as close to regular DNS as possible. Functionality like this should probably be integrated with the core Docker software since DNS is such a core technology to enabling the internet.

Maybe you already planned to address this in your book though if you don't I will definitely buy it if you do.