siebica (3) [Avatar] Offline
According to the JavaBeans v1.01 specification, the only place allowed for a getter that starts with the is prefix instead of the usual get prefix is when you write a getter for a boolean primitive property (8.3.2 Boolean properties). The use of the is prefix for Boolean references is normally not allowed.

The v8 of the MEAP specifies at page 27 that
You may begin getter methods for Boolean properties with is instead of get.
I modified the hello world code example and you can indeed use "is" styled getters for Boolean properties. After checking the Hibernate code (org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor#getterMethod(Class, String)), I noticed it's even possible to have an "is" styled getter for any kind of property. I changed the getter for org.jpwh.helloworld.Message's text property as below:
from
public class Message {

private Long id;

private String text;

@Id
    @GeneratedValue(...)
    public Long getId() {...}

public String getText() {...} // "get" getter style working

}
to
public class Message {

private Long id;

private String text;

@Id
    @GeneratedValue(...)
    public Long getId() {...}

public String isText() {...} // "is" getter style still working

}
and it's working.

Is this kind of behavior desired? I remember encountering a bug once when calling a web service because the JAXB implementation was having a similar issue to this one.
Christian Bauer (56) [Avatar] Offline
Most tools are lenient and accept either form, independent of property type. In fact, I've never encountered a problem with this so I don't think it's even worth speculating about.