Kostis Kapelonis (53) [Avatar] Offline
Hello all!

Writing a full book is a time-consuming experience, that should never be taken lightly. But in the case of Spock I think that a book was long overdue...
I loved the Spock testing framework the moment I saw the first example! It is a truly refreshing experience to write and read Spock code after witnessing
the limitations of JUnit (parameterized tests anyone?)

Therefore I decided to write this book to convince you that JUnit/TestNG is not the only testing solution. There is a new player in the testing arena
and that is Spock!

I will monitor this forum frequently so I would be happy to answer any questions or fix issues with the book. Feel free also to offer suggestions on existing or future chapters.

Kostis
mlb1141 (4) [Avatar] Offline
Is this book valuable to someone who knows Java but very little Groovy and NO JUnit or TESTNG. I read the preview chapter and it seems very well written (kudos). Some of your test scenarios which indicate a disaster waiting to happen sound all too familiar to me. Is this book a good place for me to start or can you recommend a book that would help me get started with unit and integration testing. Thanks.
Hello

Actually what you describe is one of my target readers. I assume NO Groovy knowledge. In fact I devote a whole chapter (the second one) to a quick Groovy crash course for Java developers. The Groovy content there is the essential knowledge needed just for Spock testing (I leave out Groovy stuff that is unrelated to testing)

I mention JUnit in the book, because that is what most people are familiar with, and several readers will want to compare what I am writing for Spock with their existing JUnit tests.
You can ignore all JUnit examples if you don't want to bother (they will only appear in the initial chapters of the book). The JUnit examples are strictly there for comparison purposes and have nothing to do with Spock
understanding. To put it in another way, JUnit knowledge is not required in order to write good Spock tests (it may even be an obstacle to unlearn bad testing practices).

So yes, you can pick this book and understand Spock with zero knowledge on Groovy and/or JUnit.

That being said, Manning has some excellent books on JUnit, if you want to learn it first. Apart from "JUnit in action" I can also recommend "Effective Unit testing".

If you are one of the lucky ones that can work on a Java project that has no existing JUnit tests, and you can introduce Spock tests right away, then the "Java testing with Spock" book is a perfect read.

Cheers!
gilbert@informagen.com (2) [Avatar] Offline
I've been using Spock for over 3 years. Just got the MEAP version a few hours ago and have already learned so much!

Great job! This is definitely going to be a hit.
Thank you very much!

Feel free to tweet/blog/share the MEAP page smilie