Appy Cat (5) [Avatar] Offline
The first chapter and all chapters should have explicit instructions on what to do, nothing should be implied.

Otherwise what is the point of an instructional book?

For example there is no explicit explanation on how to setup your GOPATH, an this is kinda important.

Images of folder structure, etc are very helpful. Other than lack of explicit instructions, it looks like its off to a good start.
fr4nk (14) [Avatar] Offline
If you installed Go in the default location for linux "usr/local/go", then you only need to add "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin" to your /etc/profile file. You don't need to set anything else unless you installed Go in a different location. This is also in the book under 1.9.
If you installed in different location, then you also need to set up your GOROOT. You would do that in your $HOME/.profile, and add the following:
export GOROOT=$HOME/go
export PATH=$PATH:$GOROOT/bin

GOPATH would be the folder where you keep your Go code and external libraries (downloaded with "go get"), i.e. $HOME/gocode.
So you would have to add the following to $HOME/.profile:
export GOPATH=$HOME/gocode

More info here http://golang.org/doc/code.html#GOPATH and https://golang.org/doc/install
Greeny (4) [Avatar] Offline
I understand, and often experience, frustration at assumptions of knowledge in books, but also realise that a balance has to be struck.
Perhaps at the start of the book assumptions of the readers knowledge could be given and maybe some links provided.
Maybe along the lines of:

It is assumed readers have a knowledge of how to install Go and write and execute simple Go programs.
See getting Started Guide https://golang.org/doc/install

Anonymous (122) [Avatar]
Thanks for this feedback! Yes, this message will definitely be in the introduction (which is not part of the MEAP I believe). Nonetheless I think I will take the point and give more information on setting up the GOPATH.
Sau Sheong (20) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, I've made the changes in the MEAP update, thanks for your suggestion.
kevinl (37) [Avatar] Offline
Appy Cat wrote:The first chapter and all chapters should have explicit instructions on what to do, nothing should be implied.

Otherwise what is the point of an instructional book?

For example there is no explicit explanation on how to setup your GOPATH, an this is kinda important.

Images of folder structure, etc are very helpful. Other than lack of explicit instructions, it looks like its off to a good start.

Perhaps that should be in the Appendix or a "Who Should Be Reading This Book" session. Limiting this to the current library of the Publisher regarding Go, The basics & "beginning pains" of learning Go such as how to set your GOPATH is best learned & obtained through the "Go In Action" book.

The GoPath being something explicitly discussed in golang.org towards installing Go the first time, I don't understand how much value of the book should focus on such things since the book seems self-explanatory for users of Go already beyond such things when it comes to their familarity of Go towards using Go for Web Applications.