The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mhalver (35) [Avatar] Offline
Will the new edition be covering the stats command that was added in (I think) version 4.6?
philipp.janert (286) [Avatar] Offline
Yes, of course.
I see several places where you use the command, but unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anywhere that you actually discuss what the command does. There are a few places where you reference chapter 12 in regards to it, but that chapter doesn't even mention it.

Is there going to be a place where you discuss it in depth? One of the ebook bonus chapters is on "Higher Math" and I suspect that you may discuss it there.

Of course, the documentation discusses the command, but for completeness of the book it is an important enough command to get it's own section.
The final version of the book contains an entire section on the stats command in chapter 5,
which also gives a worked example for the way it can be used.

Maybe the preview version of the book that you have access to does not reflect that yet.
No, the current preview version doesn't have that. I'm glad to hear that there will be more involved coverage. It is an extremely useful command.
I am glad to hear that you think so - I implemented it.

(Well - the first version of it. Other developers have since
added to it.)
Do you know when we will get the next update? I'd like to see this section on the stats command, but it is not in the current version of the MEAP.
The book is finished and in the last stages of production, currently waiting for some finals steps and approvals.
The next "update" will therefore be the final product!

Unfortunately, I don't have a firm date - a few weeks, I would say.