The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rickumali (134) [Avatar] Offline
I've decided to write a short blog-type post every week here on this forum. These posts are exclusive to this forum, and they will primarily be about the writing of the book.

When I tell people about the book project, some of them say that this is my secret path to financial riches. I'm very quick to point out that as I write the book, it generates no income, and even when it does get printed, I'm going to still need a day job.

There are two components in my financial proceeds from this book: the advance and the royalty. In the case of the advance, the money is enough to buy a new couch. It's a nice reward, but it is not anything that approaches what I make as a programmer. The royalty, on the other hand, is a wildcard. If enough people buy the book, it could become something significant. If no one buys it, I'll get nothing.

My goal is that the book earns my advance, so that I can make royalties. After that threshold is reached, it's all gravy. By my uncorroborated calculations, I think that 1500 copies of the book would have to be sold before that happens. I hope my book stays in Manning's catalog a good long time.

Thank You for reading!