The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ssharma (51) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Authors,

Sorry to say that the book falls below my expectations in terms of connecting theory with real world exmaples. For example, Chap 6 NYC Taxi data, supposed to be the chapter dedicated to FULL (?) real world example. Unfortunately, the chapter is hard to follow to acquire real world hands on knowledge. Here are some of the issues:

1. Section 6.1 Data: There are 24 CSV files on the data source site. It is not clear which CSV file to download and follow along.
2. I could not find the code used for Data preparation?
3.. Section 6.1.1. Visualizing the data: Where is the python or R code for data visualization for producing the figures 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4,6.5 etc.?
4. Section 6.2 can't follow along the python code unless there is a data file which we can load into the data frame

For future chapters, could you choose datasets with some real world use case e.g. Recommender system, Pattern recognition, Market Segmentation etc.The book would be a real value added if these issues are resolved.

Sincerely,

henrik.brink (22) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there!

Thank you very much for your feedback.

A full example was meant as an end-to-end example, not necessarily a full code implementation. However, it's become clear that many readers want to follow along easily with the code, so we will make sure your points are covered in an update to the chapter.

Before then, let me try to address some of your points here:

1. We use the first of the CSV files from each category (trip, fare) in our example. I think this is mentioned in the chapter, but we can probably make it more clear.
2. Many of these methods were covered in chapter 2, but we can certainly reiterate the relevant code in this chapter.
3. Same as 2.
4. This will have to be part of the chapter. Basically we use the Python Pandas library to load the data with the read_csv method.

In terms of datasets, you will see other types of datasets in the upcoming example chapters 8 and 10. If you have any specific wishes (links), let us know and we'll consider it.

Thanks again, please let us know if there is anything else you'd like to see in the book!

- Henrik

ssharma (51) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Henrik, Much appreciated!!

When ready, could you also post the code and data sets used in the analysis?