The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Mike R. (2) [Avatar] Offline
I am doing the A-mazeing Penguin example and have encountered the following problems:
1) The book and code refer to files icemaze0.png through icemaze2.png but the zip download includes files icemaze1.png through icemaze3.png.
2) If I rename the png files to match the code, the first two levels play through fine but Gentoo immediately splashes upon start of the final maze even though he appears to be on the white background ice.
3) If I attempt to examine/repair the icemaze3.png file on Windows using CorelDraw, it turns out that the file is, in fact, a GIF (at least according to the header information in the file).
carl.simmons (13) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Mike

Thanks for letting me know about these issues, sorry it's taken a while to resolve them - it was quite convoluted to work out what was going on. The issue of the rogue gif file threw up another issue which was that GIF files with transparency in general aren't always supported on Android devices with the KitKat OS and later.

As a result I've converted all of the graphics in A-mazeing Penguin and Hungry Spider to use PNGs (both sprites and backgrounds) and will update the source file download on the Manning website. This does mean that any app inventor blocks which contain ".gif" will need to be changed to .png.

I've attached the updated files here too for Chapters 9 and 14 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/le4uk8ew9oiyadu/Chapter%209%20and%2014%20updated%20files.zip?dl=0