The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mlybrand (7) [Avatar] Offline
Could anyone point me to some github repo with code that might serve well to test out the concepts being presented in the book, so I can play along at home?
Okay to keep the conversation alive. I am assuming that Java is the best language to this analysis on (cross-platform, open-source, etc), even though I would most likely use the techniques learned on JavaScript or C# applications, myself. Based on that assumption and trying to find an interesting code base to hack on, I would like to propose IntelliJ community edition:

https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community

A good runner up might be JUnit:

https://github.com/junit-team/junit

What do you guys think? Are any of you up to applying the information in this book to one of those code bases and we kind of work our way through as if this were some sort of book club?

ElasticSearch might also be interesting:

https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch

We should probably take a vote, assuming anyone else is interested in taking this approach.
chris.birchall (13) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there,

Sorry for the slow reply. Looks like I missed the notification mails for the forum.

This sounds like a great idea! I'll try and think of some more GitHub repos that would fit the bill, and post them here within the next few days.

I think a Java project would probably be best, and the bigger the codebase the better. IntelliJ, as you suggested, is probably a good place to start. You also mentioned Elasticsearch, but in my experience the Elasticsearch codebase is very clean. It's a very good example of high quality Java code.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. You are probably in the best position to evaluate good candidates for applying the tools and techniques. Sounds like fun and I am really looking forward to it.

Mark smilie
Sorry (again!) for the slow reply. I've just relocated from Tokyo to London, so everything has been a bit hectic and internet-less for a while.

Here are a couple more GitHub repos that could be worth looking at. Unfortunately most people don't open-source code if it's too legacy smilie

Apache Tomcat - good sized codebase, has been around for a long time, well maintained but unavoidably gathering legacy cruft
Code Hale's Metrics - generally clean, but might be interesting to see if there are any code quality hotspots
Google Guava - Google are obsessive about code quality, so this might be a good project to use as a reference
Out of everything we have talked about, do you have one that you believe would be best to focus on as a case study?

Mark
I think Tomcat might be the best, simply because it has the most history.