rickumali (130) [Avatar] Offline
I've decided to write a short blog-type post every week here on this forum. These posts are exclusive to this forum, and they will primarily be about the writing of the book.

I'm the only person committing to my repository. However, despite working alone, I still can flub up my Git repo. This means that I sometimes forget to pull in work from the last time I pushed work (the workflow I described in Part 1 of this series).

Using the command 'git log --merges', I can see every time where this time happened. For the record, this happened 21 times (so far). Every merge means I forgot about work I did!

One of the first times this happened was when I performed a git commit --amend. This command allows you to update the latest commit of your current branch. However, I had already pushed my change to BitBucket, so when I pushed again, Git complained.

More typical though is that I make a change to a text file on my Linux machine, then make a change to an MS Word document on my PC machine. Git forces me to merge these two pieces of work. It's amazing to me how quickly I can forget what I've already done.

It's cool that Git can help me figure out what I was doing in another part of the repository. No work is forgotten if you are diligent about committing to your repository. A simple git log or (if need be) a more involved git checkout operation is enough to remind myself that Git can keep even a solo worker organized.

Thanks for reading!