The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

trivandrum (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I have a DK2 that I want to run under Ubuntu 14.04. I downloaded the sample code and compiled it fine, but when i try and run the examples in build/output directory it returns for example :"Example_2_3_Display.cpp (11): Unable to detect Rift display". Is there something else I need to do to run under Linux?

I think my HW seems OK since i tried running the simple python example I found on http://tyrovr.com/2014/06/02/python-ovrsdk.html and it outputs w,x,y,z coordinates that change as i move the headset around.

thanks
bradley.davis (18) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Example code under Linux
Linux support for the DK2 is considered 'experimental', not just by me, but by Oculus. Unlike the Windows and Mac platforms where they provide an SDK and a distinct 'runtime' package, for Linux there is only the SDK, which includes their prototype runtime binary.

It's necessary to download the Official 0.4.3 SDK package from Oculus and follow the instructions for getting it and it's the examples working. This involves installing some additional packages if you don't have them, and possibly tweaking some udev access permissions.

Additionally, the 'oculusd' program has to be running in the background. This is functionality equivalent to the Rift service on Windows, but there's no automatic launching of it currently.

If you're able to run the Oculus SDK demo and you're still having trouble with my examples running, let me know and I'll take a closer look.