The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

dmdiggs (3) [Avatar] Offline
Next semester I plan on using the ArcGIS Web Development book in a 1 credit hour course with some of my undergraduate students here at the University of Northern Colorado. I currently have these students set up on their own IIS servers/ArcGIS Server/access to ArcGIS.com Organizational accounts (for a Web GIS class that is just ending). I'm thinking that I can just have my students (and me too--I'm also learning) use Notepad++ to complete the bulk of the exercises. I'm not "really" a developer--I'm learning at just a slightly faster pace than my students. But am I correct--that I can have students use Notepad++? I've done the 2nd chapter exercises and they worked via that approach. Rene--any thoughts? Anyone else?
Thanks. Dave D.
rene.rubalcava (10) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Using Notepad++ to complete exercises
You should do just fine using Notepadd++. The main thing you need to do is make sure the files are located in a server environment so that the ArcGIS JavaScript API will work correctly. So, for IIS, you could edit the files directly in a folder in c://inetpub/wwwroot.

If you have any issues, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!