The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

gboy (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I'm working through your book and the example code (btw, thank you for putting this body of work together). Anyway, I'm in Example_2_3_Display and I'd like to view the output from some of the calls to the SAY function (like where you update the frames per second every 2 seconds.) Of course, SAY is defined as a call to Platform::say which I think sends output to the standard output port (which I think is usually the console, by default). However, I can't seem to figure out where this output gets displayed. There is no 2nd console window that opens up - and even when I call this executable from the command line, I don't see this output. (the red/blue squares show up just fine in my DK1 Rift...) Is there some other window that I should be viewing in Visual Studio to see this output?

Message was edited by:
gboy
bradley.davis (18) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Viewing output of the SAY function in Visual Studio (2013)
If you're running the app in visual studio, the text should appear in the 'output' pane of the IDE. If you're running it from the command line it's supposed to print it to stdout, but it looks like a 'Windows' executable (one created with WinMain instead of main) won't output to stdout. I'll try to get that fixed.