aduffy (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I've bought this book. Where can I download the final version of the source code from?

Thanks
Andrew Duffy
matthew.carver (23) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Source code
Hey Andrew,

Sorry for the delay. The source code is available here: http://manning.com/carver/TRWSourceCode.zip
504676 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Chapter 5 Source code
Although I bought the book a while back, I recently started going through it. In Chapter 5, I've seen what seem to be some conflicts between what's shown/discussed in the book vs what I see in the actual source code. For example, in the 5.2 directory of the source code, when I view it in a browser, what's displayed isn't at all broken in the way shown in the book. It is broken, but the 800px element doesn't show as being moved to a second line. Instead, it stays on the same line and the user has to scroll horizontally to see the entire line. So, it's broken, just not in the way described.

Also, on pp. 82-83, the code in Chapter 5 directory 5.4 doesn't match the image in Figure 5.3 (p. 82), and there is also no 5.5.1 directory. On p. 83, the book discusses the following code as a fix for the problems described...

*{box-sizing:border-box;}

Using the HTML and CSS files in directory 5.5, I've played around with the CSS file to try to get what's shown in Figure 5.5 (p. 83), but what I get is completely different. I can only suspect that perhaps I'm getting the syntax wrong somehow. below are a couple of examples of what I've tried...

.grid{
*{box-sizing: border-box;}
width:25%;
height:0px;
padding-left:1.5678%;
padding-right:1.5678%;
margin-left:1.5678%;
margin-right:1.5678%;
padding-bottom:10%; /* See the developers insight above */
float:left;
outline:5px solid red; /* so the grid is visible */
}

...and...

*{box-sizing: border-box;}
.grid{
width:25%;
height:0px;
padding-left:1.5678%;
padding-right:1.5678%;
margin-left:1.5678%;
margin-right:1.5678%;
padding-bottom:10%; /* See the developers insight above */
float:left;
outline:5px solid red; /* so the grid is visible */
}

Neither of those provide the results shown in the book on p. 83.

Is it possible to get the source code mentioned in the book that was supposed to be in the 5.5.1 directory? It would help me to understand what's happening, as well as to understand the proper syntax for the box-sizing code using the asterisk universal selector.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Gary