VMans795 (5) [Avatar] Offline
A. Context:
fully transparent database access from the client is called MiniMongo, an in-memory, non-persistent implementation of Mongo in pure JavaScript. It does not rely on HTML5 localStorage since it exists only in the browser’s memory

A. Question:
So where ‘MiniMongo’ is residing? - in the Browser Memory or in the ‘Client-Side Memory’ ?

B: Context:
in the MiniMongo database in the browser

B. Question:
MiniMongo is not resident of Browser. Isn’t it ? - Maybe ‘in the Client’ ?

C: Context:
A this point...
C: Question
At this point... (Mistyping ?)
stephan.hochhaus (92) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Question on 1 A better way...
Hey,

I must admit I am not 100% sure what the contexts are you refer to. MiniMongo is actually something inside the browser. At the end of the day the mini database runs inside the browser and memory is allocated to the browser, so technically it is inside the browser memory that runs on the client computer.

https://www.meteor.com/mini-databases

C is not clear to me - can you re-word what is the mistyping perhaps?
Thank you for answers for A- and B- sub-questions. - I'll keep reading the book on (smilie

C-Question Is: I suppose that instead of 'A this point...' should stand 'At this point...'. Am I right ?
You are right - a typo smilie
Fun fact: we have hidden 528 typos throughout the entire book to keep readers and editors busy for a special easter egg challenge smilie

Just kidding, but I am sure there are several typos still. Once we get the content complete and ironed out all bugs the final and finishing touch will be an insanely thorough spell check.
Thanks for bringing this up, will fix this, but there will certainly be many more until the final round of proof-reading.
Thank you for your answer. - There was preliminary formulated (by Forum admins) request not to fix author's attention at typos until book is finished (not to disperse his concentration on actually important things). - But I'v override this request. Sorry (smilie

And again I focus your attention at the A- and B- questions stipulated earlier. But now I formulate it on the bases of my vision:
- As I'v migrated to programming at bowser from another domain, it's not obvious for my your explanation given earlier. Maybe you consider it reasonable to say in the book some words about the structure of browser's internals (memory, miniMongo (?), Chromium vs pure Javascript bowsers etc.?) - What's personally for me, I read simultaneously this Meteor Book and book on Dart, drying to 'marry' both approaches (smilie. - Maybe I am not along with my ignorance of bowser's internals ?
- Thank you !
Regarding what runs where and browser internals. I have put it in the latest draft of chapter 1, so it will be in the book.
Generally speaking, your Meteor app is always inside the browser context. For security purposes it may not escape the browser and go wild in your system. Hence, every aspect of Meteor lives inside its own dedicated "prison cell". This includes the minimongo database.

We do not address different browser types and internals or what effect it has on a Meteor app. We stop when we say you need a browser to display the client part of an application. Unfortunately I know too little about Dart to make useful comparisons.
I still can't understand: miniMongo - is at an Attribyte of ANY browser of is not ? - Thus what is it ?
- Maybe I can get some reference at the browser internals to compensate my ignorance ? - Maybe I am not along (smilie ?

And now one more proposal for (possible) text perfection.
Context: Paragraph immediately BEFORE 'EMBRACE THE ECOSYSTEM' (Page 24)
- The Blaze is mentioned here as an engine responsible for reactive HTML and can be invoked without Meteor... - Thus I guess: And why it is mentioned here in Meteor context ?
- Obviously I expect some more words that could explain the thought.
Thank you !
Chapter 1 was completely rewritten to (hopefully) address all your questions. Minimongo is similar to a key-value store. It is like a JavaScript program executed inside your browser. Effectively it is part of the application.

Blaze is the essential UI library for Meteor. There are ways to exchange it for something like e.g. Angular or combine it, but why would you? smilie
Blaze takes care of the entire UI for you.

I hope the new chapter gets released soon, probably before Dec 15th if we're lucky.
I hope my 'annoying questions' (smilie will help to perfect the book. - I can see that you here me. - Thank you ! - Still waiting for renewed text (smilie
Absolutely - keep annoying me with your questions. Eventually the book can only get better that way. And we aim to deliver the best possible learning book resource on Meteor smilie