gary_lucas (19) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the image, i'll test that out.

My preferred platform for anything serious is KVM, and of course that allows pass through virtualization.

Just wondering what you tweaked to make that version work? If we could capture that as a script it would probably help in general.

Thanks allot!

Gary
cody.bumgardner (57) [Avatar] Offline
Re: virtual box image
Hi Gary,

You should be able to pull the /opt/devstack directory from the image and use it anywhere.

Would it be beneficial for me to post it on github?

Cody
That would be super awesome actually and very, very much appreciated.

Gary
Just out of curiosity, are your ./exercise.sh tests passing? I've got my environment up on 12.04 but allot of the tests fail to pass, and I think it's a network config issue.

Looking forward to seeing your setup / config.

G
jfs.world (109) [Avatar] Offline
Indeed, I would echo a request to put the bare minimum somewhere (so ie. "not an entire image").

On a separate note, did anybody happen to have a problem with the login? I solved it myself by eventually going to root (cos the VM wouldnt accept the password despite several tries and re-verifying) and changing 'sysop's password myself - not getting through with "sysop", and password "u$osuser".

Another point to note: if you're having problems unzipping on a mac, try using a linux machine (doh!) instead.
Woops..

login: sysop
password: u$osuser01

Looks like I left off the "01" on the password. I will correct in the instructions.

I used a mac (OSX 10.9 or 10.10) to compress the image, so it should uncompress on a mac. Was there an error?

Going to post the devstack directory in the next hour.

Thanks,
Cody
Scripts and code have been pushed to Github.

http://www.manning-sandbox.com/ann.jspa?annID=323

Thanks,
Cody
Thanks, Cody!

About the unzipping, yes, there is an error, but insidiously, only if you 'unzip' from the command line?!! My bad; but I never expected for there to be this sort of discrepancy... If you open the zip file using Finder, it'll be fine. But I'm a command line sorta guy. If you attempt to run 'unzip' on it from the command line, that's where the problem happens. Bah!
How strange. I wonder if we are running into this: http://superuser.com/questions/114011/extract-large-zip-file-50-gb-on-mac-os-x

For OSX/Linux things I typically use Gzip, so I might not have run into this before. I used the zip format since it is now natively supported by Windows and OSX.

If course if a problem can exist it will smilie

Cody
One question about "exercise.sh" with this VM: should the tests be passing?
about the unzip problem: thanks, but I think i'll just put this down to Apple's fault (which it should be). I've run and lived on Linux for pretty much the longest time ever; and this sort of ridiculousness would be unforgivable. But oh well, that's Apple for you....
I supposed I should have checked this when I created the image. During image creation I ran through the examples in the chapters that used DevStack.

I pulled down the image and ran exercises, as shown below. It looks like about half the test failed. This could be due to a real problem, or simply related to how things are deployed on the VM.

My goal will be to have a very clean images that passes all test (if possible) for the book release. For the time being, I am mostly concerned with helping people get through the chapters that use DevStack. If the image does not do that I will have to rebuild or reevaluate its use as an "Easy Button".

Are you able to use the image to launch VMs?

Cody

**To start DevStack
1) use the stack user : "sudo -i -u stack"
2) execute the rejoin-stack.sh script : "sudo /opt/devstack/rejoin-stack.sh"
Last login: Sun Nov 16 07:22:15 2014
sysop@devstack:~$ sudo -i -u stack
[sudo] password for sysop:
stack@devstack:~$ cd /opt/devstack/
stack@devstack:/opt/devstack$ source openrc admin admin
SKIP marconi
SKIP sahara
SKIP swift
SKIP trove
PASS aggregates
PASS client-args
PASS horizon
PASS neutron-adv-test
PASS sec_groups
FAILED boot_from_volume
FAILED bundle
FAILED client-env
FAILED euca
FAILED floating_ips
FAILED volumes
Ok, that looks about right to me.

So basically 1/2 the test fail or don't run.

I wonder whats going on in the devstack community to tolerate such breakage...

Oh well, good enough.

Thanks allot for the github repo.

I'm just going to focus on going through the first 4 chapters, my background as a Developer kind of fails me here... I see broken tests as something to investigate and fix. Probably not the best usage of my time right now :p

Gary
[ERROR] /opt/devstack/lib/neutron:917 [Fail] Couldn't ping server
=====================================================================
SKIP marconi
SKIP sahara
SKIP swift
SKIP trove
PASS aggregates
PASS client-args
PASS horizon
PASS sec_groups
FAILED boot_from_volume
FAILED bundle
FAILED client-env
FAILED euca
FAILED floating_ips
FAILED neutron-adv-test
FAILED volumes
=====================================================================

Ok, so I get the same exercise results, and the only difference in your local.conf is that you only have

HOST_IP set

I've got
#networking
HOST_IP=192.168.122.10
FLOATING_RANGE=192.168.2.0/24
PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY=192.168.2.1
FIXED_RANGE=10.0.0.0/24

I'm under the impression that the rest is unimportant.

In any case I'll run through the rest of the chapters and see what I see.

Thanks for putting the time in on helping with Devstack.
440765 (1) [Avatar] Offline
When i tried to use the VM Image from the site "https://www.manning.com/books/openstack-in-action".It gets downloaded but it says zip files is corruprted.

I tried downloading in windows ,ubunutu mulitple times and it does not work

Could you please help me.
141136 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I too am trying to work from the virtualbox image. I'm able to start a VM using the GUI, but attempts to use the CLI weren't successful until I discovered that a proxy setting was wrong.

Is this forum still active? I haven't seen any messages dated 2017.