The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

rickumali (134) [Avatar] Offline
I've decided to write a short blog-type post every week here on this forum. These posts are exclusive to this forum, and they will primarily be about the writing of the book. I last discussed revisions in Book Blog #11.

I remember one of the very first articles I wrote for my high school newspaper. It was a front-page piece, and I was anxious to see the edits after I submitted the story. When my piece came back completely red, I felt hurt. Whole sentences were crossed out. Word selections were questioned. Even how I structured the article had to change.

Fast-forward to this book, and I feel like I'm back at that high school newspaper. As my editors today give me feedback, I remind myself that every edit is provided to increase the quality of the book. When I submit a chapter, I'm convinced it's ready to print. But when I get the edits back, I can see how much better it could be.

I still feel stung looking at the edits. I then remind myself that I'm not a high school kid anymore. Finishing this project means considering and reacting to each edit. I have to get past my feelings, and remember that revisions make the book better.

There won't be a BLOG post next week, as I'll be giving a presentation about Git at the New England Drupal Camp in Providence, Rhode Island on Saturday, November 1. Thanks for reading everyone!