The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

whitters1793 (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there.

Congrats on the new book. It's looking good so far. I'm very interested to learn any tips you can offer - since many of us spend the majority of our time maintaining legacy apps!

Just been reading the section about continuous inspection - i.e. Findbugs, PMD, Checkstyle etc.

I'm not affiliated, but I thought I'd mention Sonar-Qube.
We use it at my company, and hook it into svn-commits via Jenkins. Pretty effective. And the results of the analysis are nicely presented by its built-in web gui.

One of the reasons why we went with Sonar-Qube was that it acts as an aggregate of most of the common rules from Findbugs, PMD, and Checkstyle. The configuration ( i.e. selected rules) is also centralized - stored by the Sonar-Qube server itself.

It's been good for us, as it makes it easy to administer several projects with the same configuration. (It saves us having to put a findbugs, pmd, and checkstyle config file in place for each of our projects!)

It's open-source. (And free iirc)
It's got a nice web-gui.
It has a pretty decent maven-plugin.
It has an Eclipse plugin to synchronize 'issues' that it's found with your source-code in Eclipse.
It also records (and visualizes) trends over time. (A bit like a 'way back' machine for code stats!).

Looking forward to the next update.

btw, I love the fact that you've made the meap available in .epub format. It's the *only* way that some of us can easily review these MEAPs. (.pdf on most ereaders is unusable!)

David Whitmore
chris.birchall (13) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Sonar-Qube for continuous inspection
Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry about the slow reply!

I agree with you that SonarQube is great. Actually I originally planned to talk about it in chapter 2, but later I decided against it for two reasons:

* the chapter was getting really long, and I thought I might bore people by introducing yet another tool

* the SonarQube project seems to be in a state of flux recently, e.g. they've been deprecating and replacing a lot of FindBugs and PMD rules, so I didn't want to write anything that would quickly go out of date

But you're right, it is a really useful tool and it deserves at least a mention. I'll make sure to go back and add a note recommending SonarQube.

By the way, I agree about PDF files on e-readers. My Kindle renders PDFs so badly it makes me think it's deliberate - they obviously want to you buy e-books instead!

Chris
lutzhank (61) [Avatar] Offline
Because Manning also offers "SonarQube in Action" which one or the other interrested reader may call his/her own, I am happy that other important conent isn't pushed out of the book in favor of SonarQube topics.