RalfR (1) [Avatar] Offline
I think this entire section (1.1.2 and 1.1.3) should be revisited:

- The contact center vs. restaurant example seems far fetched to basically explain non-blocking I/O in a technical book. I believe you might want to consider to explain it much more straight forward: If a server is busy rendering complete documents from opening tag to closing tag on each request, it gets blocked pretty soon and can no longer handle new incoming requests. If it primarily does brief data lookups and offloads these ansynchronously it scales much better.

- As somebody else already touched upon, Cloud Platforms are not an evolution of the Hypertext Protocol. The first is a business model around infrastructure, the second is one of the oldest and still very relevant protocols of the Web.

- I'd love to see this chapter:
a) explain Reactivity in plain, straight forward words without contrived examples.
b) see the difference between Reactivity and Data Binding explained.
c) explain, how changing usage patterns led to a more reactive web in total.
stephan.hochhaus (92) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Revise the entire section about Reactiviry and how the Web evolved
Hi Ralf,

thanks for your feedback. We will revise the entire first chapter, but I am not sure we will actually get rid of a real world example to explain the blocking concept. The cloud concept is probably a bit misleading, but distributed computing (our contender) is also already taken smilie
The idea to use the word cloud actually comes directly from the creators of Meteor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSmbdVIWgs8