The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ogli72 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

first off, I think this is going to be a great book and fills a void by bringing together computer science, programming practice, and cutting edge technology. The first chapter is a very good introduction into the topic.

I know you are aiming at the practioneer, this is not to become a student textbook. However, you are going to make a leap from very basic stuff to highly advanced tools and frameworks. My suggestion is to add a chapter about the foundations of those frameworks: To elaborate further on the CAP-theorem, about distributed algorithms, event ordering, causality, Lynch's Theorem, self-stabilization.
You write a lot about functional programming, what I'm missing is a section on purely functional data structures (get a "copy" in O(1) time -- how reactive is THIS?).
Besides, I don't have the feeling that "time disappears" in declarative programming. In some sense, you are right: The ordering is mostly irrelevant which simplifies separation of concerns and unit testing. It is also easier to do multi-threading then. On the other hand, it is very hard to reason about timing constraints when it matters, for instance when implementing a data structure or algorithm which involves laziness.

This is only a suggestion -- write YOUR book and keep on with the good work.

Cheers

Oliver
jamie.allen (13) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Suggestion: A section or chapter on foundations
Thanks, Oliver! Roland and I will talk about it and see if and how we can fit it in. We appreciate the kind words!