Maglic (6) [Avatar] Offline
It seems to me that it would be a good idea to have a thread where people could propose some examples for the book.

So, I'd like to see an example demonstrating the difference between futures and promises in section 2.4.4.

Does that seem ok?

Do you think the idea for the thread is ok?

Book looks good so far, keep it up!

Message was edited by:
Maglic
jamie.allen (13) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Examples proposal
I think we could show that. Posting examples here for consideration would likely work, though I'm not sure if Manning is okay with necessarily adding the content to the book. Copyrights and all that.

I'll think about comparing the futures and promises. The biggest hangup is the difference in what each word means across languages/platforms. Thanks!
Maglic (6) [Avatar] Offline
Oh, ok, sorry, I am not familiar with Manning terms, copyright etc.
roland.kuhn (39) [Avatar] Offline
It seems established terminology to speak of the read-side as the Future and the write-side as the Promise (even though some implementations mix these up, most notably those which do not separate these roles due to not having a static type system). Although wikipedia is to be treated with care, the page on the topic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_and_promises) can serve as inspiration, e.g. by pointing out that C++11 chose the same terminology. My proposal is that we should consistently use Promise/Future as defined above and provide a translation table in chapter two which lists the corresponding names in commonly used languages.