The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

joycesc (7) [Avatar] Offline
Was able to get the unit tests to pass with latest code fixes from github

Towards the end of the chaper, after trying to run the jar & running the consumer at the same time, consumer recieves no json response

I switched to the console showing the kafka server log, i only see this.
[2014-09-17 02:54:56,853] ERROR Closing socket for /10.0.2.15 because of error (kafka.network.Processor)
java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

Why is this? Any ideas?

Thanks
joycesc (7) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Kafka consuming doesn't work (end of ch2)
I'm running off of a Ubuntu Trusty Tahr, not Ubuntu Precise as per in github
alexander.dean (12) [Avatar] Offline
Hi marilynmindymanning,

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble in ch02! I will give Trusty Tahr a go when I get a moment and see if I can reproduce the issue.

In the meantime, I'd suggest trying out the Vagrant option as that seems to be working for people...

A
alexander.dean (12) [Avatar] Offline
tdeheurles (2) [Avatar] Offline
I don't think the code in the book is updated to use Producer.
Events are not pushed to kafka.

Look the code from github at chapter 4.
Main has changed.
280705 (2) [Avatar] Offline
From section 2.5 in V7, there don't seem to be any code changes to HelloCalculator that would cause it to use the event models introduced in section 2.4.
432217 (1) [Avatar] Offline